How to Become an Ethical Hacker – Ethical Hacking Skills
Hacking has been a part of computing for almost five decades and it is a very broad discipline, which covers a wide range of topics. The first known event of hacking had taken place in 1960 at MIT and at the same time, the term “Hacker” was originated.
What are the Type of Ethical Hackinks
We can segregate hacking into different categories, based on what is being hacked. Here is a set of examples −
- Website Hacking
- Network Hacking
- Email Hacking
- Ethical Hacking
- Password Hacking
- Computer Hacking
What are the advantages and disadvantages of Hacking / Ethical Hacking
Hacking is quite useful in the following scenarios −
- To recover lost information, especially in case you lost your password.
- To perform penetration testing to strengthen computer and network security.
- To put adequate preventative measures in place to prevent security breaches.
- To have a computer system that prevents malicious hackers from gaining access.
Hacking is quite dangerous if it is done with harmful intent. It can cause −
- Massive security breach.
- Unauthorized system access on private information.
- Privacy violation.
- Hampering system operation.
- Denial of service attacks.
- A malicious attack on the system.
Ethical Hacking Skills – What You Need to Know to Become an Ethical Hacker
As an ethical hacker, you will need to understand various hacking techniques such as −
- Password guessing and cracking
- Session hijacking
- Session spoofing
- Network traffic sniffing
- Denial of Service attacks
- Exploiting buffer overflow vulnerabilities
- SQL injection
In this Article, we will discuss some of the skills that you would require to become an expert in Ethical Hacking.
Here is a collection of Best Ethical Hacking PDF Books. Download Hacking Books In PDF and learn best hacking tutorials 2018
Computer Hacking is a Science as well as an Art. Like any other expertise, you need to put a lot of effort in order to acquire knowledge and become an expert hacker. Once you are on the track, you would need more effort to keep up-to-date with the latest technologies, new vulnerabilities, and exploitation techniques.
- An ethical hacker must be a computer systems expert and needs to have very strong programming and computer networking skills.
- An ethical hacker needs to have a lot of patience, persistence, and perseverance to try again and again and wait for the required result.
Additionally, an ethical hacker should be smart enough to understand the situation and other users’ mindset in order to apply social engineering exploits. A good ethical hacker has great problem-solving skills too.
Courses & Certifications
This tutorial provides the basic guidelines to become a successful Ethical Hacker. If you want to excel in this field, then you might choose to pursue the following courses and certifications −
- Obtain a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or A+ Certificate to gain an understanding of the most common hardware and software technologies.
- Get into a programmer’s role for a few years and then switch to get a tech support position.
- Proceed to get network certifications like Network+ or CCNA and then security certifications like Security+, CISSP, or TICSA.
- It is recommended that you get some work experience as a Network Engineer and System Administrator to understand networks and systems inside out.
- Keep going through various books, tutorials, and papers to understand various computer security aspects and take them as a challenge to secure your network and computer systems as a network security engineer.
- Study courses which cover creating Trojan horses, backdoors, viruses, and worms, denial of service (DoS) attacks, SQL injection, buffer overflow, session hijacking, and system hacking.
- Master the art of penetration testing, footprinting and reconnaissance, and social engineering.
- Finally, go for a Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) Certification.
GIAC (Global Information Assurance Certification) and Offensive Security Certified Professional (OSCP) are additional IT security certifications which will add a lot of value to your profile.
You need to stay as a White Hat Hacker which means you need to work within given boundaries. Never intrude or attack any computer or network without a required permit from the authorities.
As a final note, it is highly recommended that you refrain from engaging yourself in black hat hacking which may spoil your entire career.